“WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain” is a professional wrestling video game developed by Yuke’s and published by THQ for the PlayStation 2. Released in 2003, it is part of the long-running SmackDown series and is widely regarded as one of the best wrestling games for the PlayStation 2. The game features an extensive roster of WWE superstars, realistic gameplay mechanics, and a variety of match types.
- Wrestling Simulation: Here Comes the Pain offers a wrestling simulation experience, aiming for realism in both the look and feel of the matches. The game allows players to grapple, strike, and perform various wrestling maneuvers to defeat their opponents.
- Roster: The game boasts an extensive roster of WWE superstars, including legends, current stars, and divas. Players can choose their favorite wrestlers to compete in various game modes, each with its unique challenges and objectives.
- Season Mode: The Season Mode is a key feature that lets players create and guide a wrestler through a WWE career. This mode includes storylines, rivalries, and opportunities to win championships, providing a comprehensive single-player experience.
- Match Types: Here Comes the Pain features a wide array of match types, including standard one-on-one and tag team matches, as well as specialty matches like Hell in a Cell, TLC (Tables, Ladders, and Chairs), Royal Rumble, and more. Each match type has its specific rules and challenges.
- Create-A-Wrestler: The game includes a robust Create-A-Wrestler mode, allowing players to customize their own wrestlers with a plethora of options for appearance, moveset, entrance, and attire.
Graphics and Presentation:
Here Comes the Pain was praised for its graphical presentation, pushing the limits of the PlayStation 2’s capabilities. The character models were detailed and closely resembled their real-life counterparts, and the animations contributed to the overall authenticity of the wrestling experience.
The game’s controls were intuitive, with a system that allowed players to perform various moves based on button combinations. Timing and strategy played a crucial role in executing powerful moves and reversals.
WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain received widespread acclaim from both critics and players. It was praised for its realistic gameplay, extensive roster, engaging Season Mode, and the overall improvement over its predecessors. The game’s success solidified its place as one of the best wrestling games on the PlayStation 2.
Here Comes the Pain is often remembered as a classic wrestling game, and its impact is felt even years after its release. The combination of realistic gameplay, an extensive roster, and a robust single-player experience has made it a fan favorite among wrestling and gaming communities alike.